Thursday, October 3, 2013

Consequences...

Tomorrow is the three year anniversary of this experience.

First a bit of backstory:  This particular student had been caught smoking pot the previous year.  He went to the Juvenile Detention Center (JDC) for the remained of the year.  Over the summer he started parole and was allowed to return to school in the fall.

Starting at the beginning of school I had this student twice a day.  Once second hour and then again right after lunch.  My second block class only had one other student at the time and he was generally focused and got his work done.  Forth block was an entirely different story.  He was distracted, goofy, and didn't get anything done.  Everyone knew he was smoking somewhere during lunch.  I had even held him after school to call him out and told him that if he got caught he would probably get kicked out of school.

Fast forward a few weeks. This student comes into second hour and asks to use the bathroom (In the trailer I had an attached bathroom) and wants to use the air freshener (not out of the ordinary since he had been having some issues with gas).  When he goes into the bathroom and I start explaining that day's lesson to the other student.  In the middle of my explanation I stop and start to smell the air. With the other student still in the room I start saying, "Wait... No... He can't be that stupid! ______ get out here right now!"

Their was a toilet flush and he walked out of the bathroom with bright red eyes.  I chewed him out for a bit before calling security.  Security came to check out the situation.  There was ash still on the floor, so there was no denying the fact that he had been smoking in my bathroom.  He was suspended that day and was sent back to JDC by the end of the week.

So about a month after starting my first teaching job I had managed to send a kid to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment